Include a simple reference model

Our first post how exciting! Thanks for putting this out in public.

I think this is a really great idea.

As I mentioned @teojcryan and I were discussing a baseline model for his project and what we came up with in the end sounded awfully like a less nicely thought out version of your approach.

Given that and that I imagine people are often going to want to have a baseline model it makes a lot of sense to support this one. We have also seen it has pretty good performance in the Germany nowcasting hub so important not to minimise its potential as something to be used in its own right.

Some other things to consider are the following:

• Should this be instead of or as well as the current epinowcast model. One option here would be to always produce a baseline and store it in the returned value from epinowcast for example. Alternatively, it could be a drop-in replacement. Whatever the choice it likely needs to work on its own for settings where it is good enough, Stan isn’t available or another model is being evaluated.
  • How do we integrate the output into the current plotting functionality? This depends a bit on the above in that we might want both nowcasts to be plotted but again likely needs to work on its own.
  • At some point we may want to support multiple nowcasting methods/back-ends. Do we want the baseline model to be an example of how to add one? I am thinking likely no at least for the first pass as somewhat an exception and also this would add quite a bit of complexity.

As @johannes says the first task is likely to integrate his baseline model with the preprocessing happening in the package and make its output link up with low-level plotting functionality etc. From there we can think about integration.

It sounds like some support with how to integrate in a package would be useful. If anyone wants to volunteer some time that would be great but also very happy to help.